Hometown: Born in Montreal. Spent 17 years in Beirut, Lebanon
Research Interests: 19th and 20th century European painting in relation to photography.
1. What do you do outside of class/academic work?
Film photography, mixed media image making, oil and acrylic painting.
2. How did you get started with this activity?
As long as I can remember, I’ve always been driven to draw, paint, and get crafty. I discovered film photography in 2015, and have never left my analog camera since then.
3. What’s the most interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your CV/resume alone?
Although I’ve never took the time to learn how to play an instrument, music has always had a dear place in my heart. I discovered some of my favourite bands when I was a teenager growing up in Beirut, whose lyrics made going from being an awkward teenager to an adult much less difficult.
4. What’s next for you?
Getting in the PhD program here, hopefully. If not, I will have to spend some time outside of the academic world, which I’m not looking forward to.
5. What is your favourite thing about Toronto?
Difficult question! What’s not to love about Toronto? I’d say its vibrancy, friendliness, and of course, its arts and culture scene, which always has something to offer.
6. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
Emerald green because it brings me good luck.