Hometown: Ottawa, Ontario
Research Interests: Modern and contemporary art, painting and intermediality
1. What do you do outside of class/academic work?
I paint and draw, volunteer for art festivals and events, go to gallery openings, wander around the city, but mostly just daydream.
2. How did you get started with this activity?
I got involved in the visual arts during my undergrad at the University of Ottawa, where I did a BFA in painting (although the desire to make things has manifested itself long before that). I also worked for galleries for a few years before coming to Toronto.
3. What’s the most interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your CV/resume alone?
I will be volunteering for the Venice Biennale’s Canadian Pavilion in May 2017! I am beyond excited about this opportunity.
4. What’s next for you?
I hope to resume my art practice and maybe start/participate in a few projects. Perhaps apply for artist residencies and internships abroad. Perhaps learn a new language. Who knows. I wish to eventually do an MFA.
5. What is your favorite thing about Toronto?
A sense of newness or freshness. Not one that is necessarily inherent to the city, but because I am not originally from Toronto, I feel like I still have a lot to discover here. Perhaps my favorite thing is exploring it little by little with the friends I’ve made thus far.
6. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What colour would you be and why?
Veridian. It’s a bit unusual.