Our purposes are:
- to represent the common interests of the members;
- to foster equity, inclusivity, and diversity through advocacy, education, and community among Union members;
- to foster a sense of community among Union members through events such as social gatherings;
- to advocate on behalf of graduate students to professors, the Department of Art History, and the University administration;
- to represent Union members in other organizations and cooperate with organizations such as GSU (the Graduate Student Union) and CUPE3902 (the Canadian Union of Public Employees representing University of Toronto education workers);
- to share in the formation of departmental policy; and
- to provide academic and publication opportunities.
GUStA holds meetings at least four (4) times a year. At these meetings elections are held, events are planned, and reports are given to the membership. Attendance is encouraged, but not required.